
Ireland, the Netherlands, Slovenia and Spain have said they will boycott next year’s Eurovision Song Contest, following the decision to allow Israel to compete.
The response on Thursday came immediately after the European Broadcasting Union (EBU), which runs the competition, said there would not be a vote on whether to exclude Israel, despite calls from some countries to do so.
Opponents of Israel’s participation criticise it over its genocidal war on Palestinians in Gaza – which has so far killed at least 70,125 people – and over allegations that it unfairly intervened in the most recent competition to the benefit of its entrant.
In a statement which cleared Israel to take part, the EBU said on Thursday that its members had shown “clear support for reforms to reinforce trust and protect [the] neutrality” of the contest.
The changes, which include the reintroduction of an expanded professional jury at the semifinal stage, aim to discourage governments and third parties from disproportionately promoting songs to sway voters.
In response to Israel’s inclusion, the Dutch broadcaster AVROTROS said that “under the current circumstances, participation cannot be reconciled with the public values that are fundamental to our organisation”.
It has accused Israel of “proven interference” in last year’s contest while also noting its “serious violation of press freedom” during the Gaza war.
Ireland will not take part in Eurovision 2026 either, with its broadcaster RTE citing “the appalling loss of lives in Gaza and humanitarian crisis” as the reason for its boycott.
Nor will Slovenia, whose national broadcaster said that its move came “on behalf of the 20,000 children who died in Gaza”.
Meanwhile, Spain’s public broadcaster RTVE also announced that it would also not participate in the event in Vienna, which will be the contest’s 70th edition.
“The situation in Gaza, despite the ceasefire and the approval of the peace process, and the use of the contest for political goals by Israel, make it increasingly difficult to keep Eurovision a neutral cultural event,” its secretary-general, Alfonso Morales, said in a statement.
Not all countries took the same stance. In the lead-up to the EBU’s decision, Germany said it would not take part if Israel were barred.
“Israel belongs in the Eurovision Song Contest,” said German Culture Minister Wolfram Weimer.
Israeli President Isaac Herzog welcomed the EBU announcement, arguing that his country, which says it faces a global smear campaign, “deserves to be represented on every stage around the world”.
LATEST POSTS
- 1
What exactly is the Upside Down in 'Stranger Things'? The wormhole revelation, explained. - 2
Figure out How to Really focus on Your Dental Inserts for Durable Outcomes - 3
Manual for Instructive Application for Youngsters - 4
Launch pad damaged as Russian rocket blasts off for space station, agency says - 5
Fundamental Home Exercise center Hardware: Amplify Your Exercises
Tablets: Upgrade Your Understanding Experience
Jury says Johnson & Johnson owes $40 million to 2 cancer patients who used talcum powders
How did birds survive while dinosaurs went extinct?
Vote in favor of your Favored kind of footwear
Addressing sleep apnea early might decrease chances of developing Parkinson's disease
Sustaining Public activity and Connections: Key Methodologies
Dental Embed Developments: Upsetting Current Dentistry
All that You Really want to Be familiar with Dental Inserts Facilities
Must-See Attractions in Australia












